Date:      Thu, 02 Dec 1999 10:22:51 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        John Hartley <john@ncipher.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   RE: device major number allocation

On 02-Dec-99 John Hartley wrote:
> hello,
>
>       We develop hardware for cryptographic acceleration and secure
> key storage and we have written a device driver for FreeBSD 3.x for
> one of our PCI products.
>
>       I was wondering if someone could tell me how to get a device
> major number allocated for this driver.
>
>       I have searched the web site and recent news groups and I have
> been unable to find any specific information on this topic.  I
> apologise if I have missed it somewhere, or if this is the wrong
> place to ask for this information,
>
>       If you could point me in the right direction the I would be most
> grateful,
>
>       thanks in advance
>
> -john

From the FAQ:

Q: I need a major number for a device driver I've written.

A: This depends on whether or not you plan on making the driver
publicly available. If you do, then please send us a copy of the driver
source code, plus the appropriate modifications to files.i386, a sample
configuration file entry, and the appropriate MAKEDEV code to create
any special files your device uses. If you do not, or are unable to
because of licensing restrictions, then character major number 32 and
block major number 8 have been reserved specifically for this purpose;
please use them. In any case, we'd appreciate hearing about your driver
on <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org>.