Date:      Thu, 14 Jul 2005 09:49:07 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        Casper <kl@os.lv>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 5.x raid...

On Thu, Jul 14, 2005 at 03:55:38PM +0200, FreeBSD questions mailing list wrote:

> 'plex org raid1 512k' is invalid
> you should use:
> 'plex org concat'

Uh, he wants all data on one SATA drive and a mirror on the other.
Therefore he does not want to "concat" but to "mirror". The man page
examples often complicatate things by concating some drives then
mirroring the concated.

Vinum is flaky on 5.x, while gvinum works pretty good. Others have
suggested the future is brighter with the RAID functions in GEOM but I'm
not yet ready to experiment with my 300G gvinum slice.

I never quite figured out the manual method of configuring [g]vinum. The
"SIMPLIFIED CONFIGURATION" section of the manual got me running. I think
this how he would want to do it.

There isn't a gvinum man page. Gvinum (GEOM vinum) lacks complete vinum
functionality but I don't know what.

First, I don't think its wise to use partition "c". Use sysinstall to
create the single largest partition possible and it'll be on "d".
Partition "c" has special meaning and many times its used because the
device driver fakes a disk label with "c" when a real disk label is
missing. If the driver is always able to fake a correct and identical
label then you are fine, but its better to write a real one on disk.

Creating a gvinum mirror is as simple as this:

# gvinum mirror -v /dev/ad4d /dev/ad6d

Might need:
# gvinum start

Then edit /etc/rc.d./vinum and add the "g" to this line thusly:

start_cmd="gvinum start"

Your new slice will probably be /dev/gvinum/vinum0, so edit /etc/fstab
appropriately.

The slice should be ready for newfs, and then mounting.

Be sure to add this to /etc/rc.conf:
start_vinum="YES"

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@HiWAAY.net