Date:      Thu, 8 Jan 1998 15:58:41 +0100 (MET)
From:      Dirk-Willem van Gulik <Dirk.vanGulik@jrc.it>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   mSQL-2.0.3 and FreeBSD 2.2.5 or 3.0 SNAP

On a WWW system; we are using the common combo
of Apache, Perl and mSQL. Since a recent change
where we have increased the free text and in
context search capabilities, we are regulary
seeing several of our index files of mSQL 2.0.3
explode. Both on BSD 2.2.5 and 3.0 snap's.

We can reproduce it by cat-ting a 4 Mbyte
file of inserts into the  'msql DBASE'
command, so there seems little relation with
the perl/apache environment.

The symptom is that a *.idx file grows quickly and
suddenly all time is spend in kernel land. With
no timely return; i.e. things like Alt-F1,2 etc
still work, as does pinging, telnet-connect; but
any typing or other user land feedback is
completely out. Another recent change is that we
now have some 150 tables, rather than the original
25 or so.

Anyone any ideas as where to look ? mmap() ?

DW

http://cils.ceo.org                         http://enrm.ceo.org
dirkx@technologist.com                     Dirk.vanGulik@jrc.it
+39 332 78 0014       +39 332 78 9549       fax +39 332 78 9185
ISEI/ESBA;                     The Center For Earth Observation
Joint Research Centre of the European Communities, Ispra, Italy