Date:      Fri, 11 Jun 1999 16:06:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      freebsd <freebsd@unreal.gatekeep.net>
To:        Nick Rogness <nick@rapidnet.com>
Cc:        "Jason L. Schwab" <jschwab@royal.net>, Pete Fritchman <petef@netreach.net>, ghandi@mindless.com, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: firewalls

I suggest installing ICMP_BANDLIM into the kernel (gret LINT) and setting
it to about 20... sysctl -w net.inet.icmp.icmplim=20

Also for syn floods, i suggest going to geek-girl.com and getting the new
syn protection patch for FreeBSD, it works, you also set it via sysctl...

On Fri, 11 Jun 1999, Nick Rogness wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Jun 1999, Pete Fritchman wrote:
>
> > You probably just want to deny all icmp to your dialup.
> >
> > ipfw add deny icmp from any to any
>

> 	Some online games rely on icmp packets to monitor
> 	your speed to the server (eg. Quake2).  With some
> 	games this might be a problem.
>

> > --------------------
> > [  Pete Fritchman  ]
> > [ Systems Engineer ]
> > [petef@netreach.net]
> > --------------------
> >
> > On Fri, 11 Jun 1999, Jason L. Schwab wrote:
> >
> > > Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 14:21:27 -0700 (MST)
> > > From: "Jason L. Schwab" <jschwab@royal.net>
> > > To: ghandi@mindless.com
> > > Cc: freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
> > > Subject: firewalls
> > >
> > > Dear all of you,
> > >
> > > 	What rules should i add to ipfw to make it to where no one can
> > > Denial Of Service or D.o.S. me or any of those kinds of things? but i
> > > wanna allow everything else thro. i'm on 56k dialup.. hope to be on
> > > 256k once our phone company here gets it up and running... thanks

> > > with "unsubscribe freebsd-security" in the body of the message

> > with "unsubscribe freebsd-security" in the body of the message

> Nick Rogness		    	 "Never settle with words what
> System Administrator	          can be accomplished with a
> RapidNet, INC   		  flame-thrower"
> nick@rapidnet.com

Brandon Hicks - Gate Keeper Technologies
www.gatekeep.net
bhicks@gatekeep.net