Date:      Thu, 5 Feb 1998 12:59:48 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        Rob Levandowski <robl@boom.acccorp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Year 2000 compliance statement?

On Thu, 5 Feb 1998, Rob Levandowski wrote:

> Dear FreeBSD team,
> My company requires me to obtain an official Year 2000 compliance statement from each vendor of hardware and software we use.  We use several versions of FreeBSD.  I was unable to locate a compliance statement on your Web pages.
> Can you tell me if the current version of FreeBSD 2.2 is Y2K compliant, and if possible, how compliant previous releases are?
> I need this information by February 11, due to my company's lack of planning.  (I was only told that I must get these compliance statements today.)
> Thanks for any help you can provide!
> Robert Levandowski

Statement:
FreeBSD is year 2000 compliant.

32 bit unices in general have no time/date problems until the year 2038.

There is no "official" statement AFAIK. The fact that the unix clock
will last far beyond the millenium is pretty well known. I personally
consider it a non-issue, but I am not your managers. :)

Most operating systems have no Y2K problems. Even winblows 95 is Y2K
compliant. You should probably take a hard look at your apps first.

 __   __
/ 0\ / 0\  Have fun,
     )	   Jason Wells
)-------(  Wannabe Sysadmin