Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 2000 14:11:28 -0800 (PST)
From:      Derrick Baumer <bduk@earthlink.net>
To:        spider90@hotmail.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Permissions

> From: "spider 90" <spider90@hotmail.com>
>

> I sent an email a little earlier but I am not sure it came thru as I
> am have difficulties with my hotmail account.

It came through, we're just thinking.

> The address is spider90@hotmail.com. The issue I am having is I am
> attempting to mount my floppy drive but it is not listed in
> /etc/fstab.

If it's listed in /etc/fstab, you can mount it easier, but you can
still mount it if it's not listed there.  You just have to give the
full command:

mount -tmsdos /dev/fd0.1440 /mnt
        ^^^^^          ^^^^
          |              +--disk size (commonly 360, 720, 1200 or 1440)
          +--filesystem type (msdos, ufs, etc...)

or something like that according to your needs.

> So the book complete freebsd advises you need to use the MAKEDEV
> command.  So when I try /MAKEDEV fd0

That would be

cd /dev
./MAKEDEV fd0

exactly, right?

> I get a permission denied /usr/sbin message.  I am root and in fact
> I dont have a user setup yet.  Isn't root supposed to be able to
> access or use MAKEDEV?  I spend 2 hrs trying to use that command but
> no success. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

What is the exact text of the message you get?

--
Derrick Baumer
bduk@earthlink.net