Date:      Thu, 30 Oct 1997 18:58:42 -0500 (EST)
From:      Michael Alwan <mjalwan@rma.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Subject:   re: cvsup can't get own hostname

On Wed, 29 Oct 1997, Michael Alwan wrote:

>> before. The command "cvsup standard-supfile" quits after 1 second with this_
>> message:
>>
>> "Cannot get IP address of my own host -- is its hostname correct?"_

>What does
>
>$ host `hostname`
>
>report?  This is what cvsup's trying to do and is running into opposition.
>

>Doug White                              | University of Oregon
>Internet:  dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu    | Residence Networking Assistant
>http://gladstone.uoregon.edu/~dwhite    | Computer Science Major

Doug:

I noticed that rc.conf and hosts had different hostnames--one reflected my
e-mail account and the other my dial-up account.  I synched these; now the
command

$ host 127.0.0.1

will bring up "localhost" assigned in etc/hosts:

Name: localhost
Address: 127.0.0.1
Aliases:

The command

$ host 10.0.0.1

brings up the "imaginary" network assignment suggested in the FreeBSD handbook:

Name: mjalwan.rma.edu
Address: 10.0.0.1
Aliases: mjalwan

Cvsup starts now--I've yet to put it to use.  But I have another question: why
can't I query the host by the alias or hostname, as opposed to the numeric
address?  The following commands

host mjalwan
host mjalwan.rma.edu

will respond "Host not found, try again."  The man page for host says this
should work.  Just wondering....

Thanks again,

Michael Alwan

E-Mail: Michael Alwan <mjalwan@rma.edu>