Date:      Wed, 18 Nov 1998 09:07:57 -0600
From:      Erik Cameron <ecameron@bsd.uchicago.edu>
To:        Chuck Youse <cyouse@icon.com>, freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sparc board, and clones

On Wed, Nov 18, 1998 at 09:11:52AM -0500, Chuck Youse wrote:
> While support for sun4[mcd ] is a good thing, Kapil aptly pointed out that they
> really are a different architecture than the sun4u.  To support both with one
> kernel is possible, but cumbersome at best.  Better to separate the two.

One kernel is insufficient if you're not releasing source code.  I mean, if
we're talking about going through and isolating all of the (i386|alpha) code
out of the kernel and concentrating our rewrites on that, I don't see as how
(other than more coding) having separate sun4x and sun4u directories in the
dist would be *that* much trouble.

-e

--
erik cameron -- bsd/is support services
support engineer, unix frood, sysadmin, etc.