Date:      Mon, 13 Sep 2004 06:51:01 -0700
From:      "Bucky Jordan" <bajordan@hubbell-ltg.com>
To:        <freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Support for PERC4/Ei RAID controller?

I talked with Dell on this one- basically the Perc4/Ei uses the PCI Express=
 bus, which apparently causes some issues- it's a completely different setu=
p than the Di. So, as an interim solution, we ordered add-in Di cards. Once=
 support for PCI Express gets a little better, we'll swap to the onboard Pe=
rc4/Ei controller to take advantage of the faster bus and additional RAID c=
ache. Since the unit supports up to 6 drives, the additional Raid card can =
still be put to good use.

It seems the only other option at the moment is to run without RAID (which =
we're not willing to do). If anyone has any other suggestions, please let m=
e know.

As a side note for those ordering the new PowerEdge 2850's with the Nocona =
processors- I successfully completed a default install of 5.2.1-RELEASE tod=
ay on our second box (SCSI only, no RAID). Haven't installed any ports or d=
one any configuration yet- if anyone's interested I can post details of wha=
t went smoothly.

Hope that helps,

Bucky

the system manager.