Date:      Thu, 8 Jul 2004 08:34:16 -0400
From:      Randy Pratt <rpratt1950@earthlink.net>
To:        Grant Speelman <grantg@xsinet.co.za>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: allowing users to mount cdrom again

On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 00:41:59 +0200
Grant Speelman <grantg@xsinet.co.za> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I read in the previous post about allowing users to mount cdrom and
> wanted to try it for myself
> I did the follow :
>
> added vfs.usermount=1 to /etc/sysctl.conf
> changed the permissions on /dev/acd0 to include the user
> restarted freebsd (It's amazing what a restart does for me sometimes)
>
> but this happens:
>
> Grant > mount /mnt/cdrom1
> cd9660: /dev/acd1: Operation not permitted

I suspect that you may be trying to mount (as a user) to a
mount point that the user (Grant) does not own.

> I am working in Kde usings Kde's Konsole and have two cdroms on
> FreeBSD 5.2.1
> Please help

The FAQ has an entry about this:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/disks.html#USER-FLOPPYMOUNT

Its easy to overlook that the ordinary users have to own the mount
point to be used.  Follow the steps outlined there and see if that
takes care of your problem.

HTH,

Randy