Date:      Mon, 08 Feb 1999 21:12:24 -0600
From:      "William S. Duncanson" <caesar@starkreality.com>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems keeping time

Hmm...doesn't appear to be working.  I'm grepping through the source trying
to find the valid values for this parameter, but haven't been able to find
it yet.

At 20:02 2/8/99 -0500, Chuck Robey wrote:
>On Mon, 8 Feb 1999, William S. Duncanson wrote:
>
>> I just upgraded a FreeBSD box to a SMP system (basically, I swapped out the
>> MB and added a processor).  Now, I'm having horrendous problems with the
>> kernel clock drifting (it's running fast, about 7 seconds every 10
>> minutes).  So far, xntpd seems to be keeping everything relatively close,
>> but it's updating the clock every 10 minutes or so.  ntpq claims that all
>> of the configured peers are "insane".  I'm pretty sure that this is a SMP
>> issue, since it worked fine with a single processor (4.0-current).  So, the
>> question is, how do I fix this?
>>
>> Here's my kernel config.  I added the "CLK_USE_I8254_CALIBRATION" after I
>> noticed the problem, but it doesn't appear to have fixed it:
>
>I have a smp system too.  I've never had to use this method, but I
>recall Poul-Henning talking about it, so I'll pass it on.  You can tweak
>the method used to keep time via a sysctl:
>
>sysctl -w kern.timecounter.method=1
>
>I don't know more than that, you can either experiment (and let us know
>if it worked) or wait for Poul-Henning to comment.

>Chuck Robey                 | Interests include any kind of voice or data
>chuckr@glue.umd.edu         | communications topic, C programming, and Unix.
>213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
>Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run picnic (FreeBSD-current)
>(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (Solaris7).

William S. Duncanson                      caesar@starkreality.com
The driving force behind the NC is the belief that the companies who brought us
things like Unix, relational databases, and Windows can make an appliance that
is inexpensive and easy to use if they choose to do that.  -- Scott Adams