Date:      Wed, 29 Dec 1999 07:30:32 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jaime Kikpole <jaime@malkav.snowmoon.com>
To:        Jason <jasonc@concentric.net>
Cc:        Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cable Modem Support

On Tue, 28 Dec 1999, Jason wrote:
> Thanks for the reply.  Shooting my ISP is something I have thought about for
> months now :).  But need them because at least they do allow me high speed
> win98 acess which is better than nothing.

	If you're really set on using Unix, you might want to consider an
eMachines $400 computer to use as a router-like device.  I've heard that
Windows 98 SE has something called "Internet Sharing" which sounded a lot
like a weird NAT/DHCP system.

> As for ISDN....it seems the ISDN uses the same sort of conditioned line as
> DSL.  So it would cost exactly the same to install either one.  I have spoke
> with Covad and the ILEC here many times over this issue.  They seem very
> set.  Its odd that a T1 can be installed for under $500 and cost around
> $269/month....but Covad refuses to accept a Point to Point line ordered by
> me for their service.  They say Contracts with the ILEC prevents me from
> providing my own Local Loop.

	If you can get the line itself from the telco instead of the ISP
perhaps you could then find an ISP somewhere else on that telco's network
which would be willing to send IP services over the telco's system and
into your T1.  I couldn't tell from your letter if Covad was the telco or
ISP.

> anyhow....will have to wait out this Cable modem issue until the new two way
> modems are released....they told me they would be out in 98....still
> waiting.

	Good luck.  I know that waiting for high speed connections is
really depressing.  You should ask your ISP if they'll support an ISDN
connection, though.  Those *do* work over FreeBSD, even if the ISP doesn't
officially support them.  Just reboot into Windows while the techs are
there and then reboot back into FreeBSD and try to configure it.  You can
even avoid the $0.01/channel/minute charges by using data-over-voice for a
112 Kbps connection instead of a data-over-data connection of 128Kbps.

							Jaime