Date:      Fri, 12 Sep 1997 12:02:17 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dave Babler <dbabler@Rigel.orionsys.com>
To:        Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@americantv.com>
Cc:        Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help with Sendmail/DNS

On Thu, 11 Sep 1997, Jonathan Lemon wrote:

> On Sep 09, 1997 at 04:18:55PM -0700, Dave Babler wrote:
> > It looks like I'm hosed then, host altair is just for testing. The REAL
> > desired operation is:
> >
> > 	mail to orionsys.com	    -> rigel -> bbs.orionsys.com
> > 	mail to bbs.orionsys.com    -> rigel -> bbs.orionsys.com
> > 	mail to rigel.orionsys.com  -> rigel
> > 	mail to altair.orionsys.com -> rigel -> altair...
> >
> > I just didn't want to experiment with a live system and lose everybody's
> > email. The filtering/relay is only intended for inbound mail, each host
> > can send directly and if contacted by name instead of using MX records,
> > each host would accept mail. I've tried class "w" (and not), using
> > virtusertable (and not), using mailertable (and not) and nothing delivers
> > mail, it just bounces with various error messages to the sender or
> > complains of the MX loop (without the class "w").
>
> What about trying ``O TryNullMXList'' (or ``Ow'' for older sendmails) in
> the sendmail.cf file on rigel?
>
> This should cause rigel to notice that it is the 'best' MX exchange
> for altair, so it will then send directly to altair, bypassing the MX
> lookup.  (you might need to make rigel's MX = 5, and altair's MX = 10).
> --

Jonathan,

This does seem to work, curing the looping MX problem... except that
according to the Sendmail Reference, "The TryNullMXList (w) option is not
safe as of V8.8.4." Also, there doesn't seem to be an m4 macro to invoke
it, which tends to indicate to me it isn't 'approved' any more for some
reason... does anyone know why?

-Dave