Date:      08 Jan 1999 08:31:34 +0100
From:      Frank Nobis <fn@Radio-do.de>
To:        Kenneth Wayne Culver <culverk@wam.umd.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SOFTUPDATES

    Kenneth> I have seen all the messages about Softupdates, and such,
    Kenneth> and I was wondering what the advantages of using
    Kenneth> Softupdates are (or will be once the code is debugged). I
    Kenneth> have looked on the FreeBSD website, and couldn't find
    Kenneth> this information there.

	Just to give you an impression on what is possible.  After the
	3.0   Release   date   I    enabled softupdates    on  my  src
	partition. I'm doing a  make world -j4  on my dual PII  400 in
	less than  one hour. I stress test  my system at least  once a
	day   with  that and  had    absolutely no problems  regarding
	softupdates until now.

	For now the current is solid as a rock for me.

fn@trinity:ttyp1$ uptime
 8:29AM  up 7 days, 17:18, 2 users, load averages: 2.07, 2.00, 1.98

	The load come from rc5des running :-) and 7 days ago I
	switched to the new bootblocks.

Regards
	Frank
--
 Frank Nobis                            Email: PGP AVAILABLE
 Landgrafenstr. 130                     dg3dcn   http://www.radio-do.de/~fn/