Date:      Fri, 20 Oct 1995 16:49:55 EST
From:      "Kaleb S. KEITHLEY" <kaleb@x.org>
To:        hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Netscape puzzle

Here's something weird. I'm not looking for an answer or a fix. I'm
merely telling you about this so that when someone else says it happened
to them you can say you've heard of it happening before.

My box at home is running FreeBSD 2.1.0-950922-SNAP, connected to the
network at work by PPP through ZOOM V.34 28.8K modems and a Cisco
terminal server. It's not unusual for my PPP link to stay up for days
at a time normally.

>From work, if I rsh to my box and run netscape 2.0b1 with the display set
to a machine here at work, I get an "unable to open display" error. With
netscape 1.1 it runs for several seconds and then takes the PPP connection
down. This has occured each and every time I've tried it.

Other X programs connect to displays at work and run fine. Both versions
of netscape run fine when connected to the local X server by Unix domain
socket. I think netscapes running the other direction, i.e. from work to
my box also work fine, I'll have to try again when I get home to be
sure.

--

Kaleb KEITHLEY