Date:      Thu, 13 Jul 2000 08:27:54 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Linh Pham <lplist@q.closedsrc.org>
To:        Thaisan Tonthat <t_tonthat@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: questions

FreeBSD is aimed more at the general audience and the x86 architecture
(although an Alpha port and a PPC port is in development...).

NetBSD is aimed at multi-platform support, since it supports almost every
PC architecture known.

OpenBSD, headed by Theo de Raadt (spelling?), was split from NetBSD and
aims to be the most secure operating system. The number of architectures
supported by OpenBSD is about the same as the average between FreeBSD and
NetBSD (x86, Alpha, m68k, Amiga, sparc...)

I'm not sure what the hardcoded maximum amount of RAM is, but on the x86
side, a 32-bit processor can only handle 4GB of memory (with the exception
of the Xeon processors, which can support up to 32GB). 64-bit processors
can handle a whole lot more memory then 32-bit processors, but it'll cost
you a pretty penny to reach the max :)

I don't think there is a specific limitation to hard drive size, but there
are limitations related to BIOS', IDE controllers, SCSI controllers and
partition (oops... slice) sizes. The handbook or ``The Complete FreeBSD''
book should cover hard drives and slice limitiations.

FreeBSD supports SMP on x86 (I don't know if there is an SMP kernel for
the Alpha port yet), but OpenBSD does not (it'll run on machines with
multiple processors, but only recognize only one).

I'm not sure if NetBSD supports SMP or not.

// Linh Pham
//
// Proud supporter of FreeBSD and OpenBSD
// FreeBSD - http://www.freebsd.org
// OpenBSD - http://www.openbsd.org

/*	"Oregon, n.:
		Eighty billion gallons of water