Date:      Thu, 22 Jun 2000 15:54:40 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        =?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=E9rard_Roudier?= <groudier@club-internet.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems installing FreeBSD 4.0-RELEASE on an Alpha system

G=E9rard Roudier writes:
 > 3) The BUS physical addresses (as seen from PCI BUS), the SCRIPTS
 >    processor is provided with, are wrong.
 >=20
 > Given that the driver succeeded initialisations and seems to success=
fully=20
 > read chip IO registers using MMIO, the actual reason of the breakage=
 is=20
 > probably not (1) and (2) does not seem to me a good culprit :).
 >=20
 > Regarding possible reason (3), the SCRIPTS processor fetches instruc=
tions
 > from on-chip RAM using internal path (not using PCI external cycles)=
.
 > For this to work, the BAR that is supposed to contain the address of=
=20
 > the on-chip RAM must match the BUS physical address of the on-chip R=
AM=20

#3 is most likely the culprit.  Right now we steal the upper bit(s) of
the port or address passed down to the chipset's inX/outX readX/writeX
functions to allow drivers to use inX/outX and readX/writeX.  This is
done so as to give hints to the lowlevel chipset code as to which hose
the address in question is on.  This hackery will go away when the
previously mentioned changes to the alpha pci code happen.  (Those
changes are why Doug wanted to get all important drivers using
busspace).

Thanks for explaining it!  I've long suspected that something like
this was going on but never had the time to really understand either
ncr driver well enough to figure it out for myself.

Cheers,

Drew