Date:      Thu, 22 Oct 1998 11:15:27 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Conrad Sabatier <conrads@neosoft.com>
To:        Petrov Enrico <Enrico.Petrov@CSELT.IT>
Cc:        "freebsd-stable@freebsd.org" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Problem from 2.2.1 to 3.0 FreeBSD RELEASE

On 20-Oct-98 Petrov Enrico wrote:
> I'm trying to migrate from 2.2.1 to 3.0 RELEASE.
> I've just downloaded 3.0 source tree.
> If I type "make world" in /usr/src/ directory  I find this error:
>
>       [...]
>       cc -0 -pipe -I/usr/src/usr.bin/make
> -I/usr/obj/aout/usr/src/tmp/usr/include -static -o make arch.o compat.o
> .....[skipped]
>       main.o: Undefined symbol `_sysctlbyname` referenced from text
> segment
>       *** Error code 1
>
> What does it mean?
> If this is the right mailing list, can someone help me?

While I haven't actually examined all of the Makefiles for 3.0 completely to
verify this, I suspect you'd be better off trying the "aout-to-elf-build" target
(followed by "aout-to-elf-install") rather than "world", as this seems more
tailored to those who are upgrading from an earlier version.

--
Conrad Sabatier

A witty saying proves nothing, but saying something pointless gets
people's attention.