Date:      Wed, 3 Jan 2001 12:29:11 -0800
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        "C. Stephen Gunn" <csg@waterspout.com>
Cc:        wpaul@freebsd.org, net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 'no memory for rx list'

* C. Stephen Gunn <csg@waterspout.com> [010103 12:19] wrote:
> On Wed, 03 Jan 2001 10:10:09 PST, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
>
> > > You could change the printf()'s to log()'s, and allow syslogd
> > > to filter/combine/report them on your console.  I'm sure you
> > > already know this, you could increase NBMCLUSTERS and friends
> > > in your kernel config, or at boot time.  (For posterity in
> > > the list archives).
> >
> > I really don't see any point in assisting a cascade-like failure
> > situation by adding more work that the kernel has to do when faced
> > with a shortage.
>
> I hadn't thought about it from that perspective.  Having the driver
> log something to the console about the condition is desirable
> though, otherwise it simply fails without notice.  A delicate
> trade-off.

A proper fix would be to have the driver do what it does when it
can't get an mbuf by incrementing if_ierrors or something.  Then
the admin would be able to see it through the tools to view
network device stats.

I may be wrong here, but I want to know what Bill Paul thinks
about this as he's far more clueful than me especially when it
comes to drivers.

Another solution would be something along the lines of the
what the ICMP code does, which is only print the message
after X number of instances and at most 1 time per second.