Date:      Thu, 8 Oct 1998 21:47:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
To:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        thomma@BayNetworks.COM, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: installworld and softupdates

Terry Lambert writes:
> > I have a machine whose / partition is 32MB and about 10MB
> > space left.  Softupdates is enabled on / as well as other
> > partitions.
> >
> > The buildworld completes with a hitch. Then installworld always
> > fails when updating /sbin with / file system full.
> > After the failure, when I did df, I saw 9MB left.
> >
> > Then I thought that softupdates was delay^H^H^H^H^Hoptimizing the
> > temporary file space reclaim which install -s (stripping) creates and
> > deletes very quickly during installworld.
> >
> > It turned off softupdates and tried installworld.
> >
> > Bingo!  It completed.
> >
> > So be careful when your / is running out and do make world/installworld.
>
> Disk space held by uncommitted deletes depending on other operations
> is, by definition, not reusable until such time as the operations are
> committed.

Another way of looking at it is this: softupdates breaks the
traditional "contract" (whether it was really a contract or
not is for debate) that when a file removal completes, the
disk space taken by the file is then immediately available
for re-use.

Instead, it is only guaranteed to become available a short
time later in the future.

-Archie