Date:      Thu, 04 Apr 2002 17:02:31 -0700
From:      Drew Eckhardt <drew@PoohSticks.ORG>
To:        webinfo@att.net
Cc:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New FreeBSD forums site

In message <20020404234839.HZIN8815.mtiwmhc23.worldnet.att.net@webmail.worldnet
.att.net>, webinfo@att.net writes:
>We have active SMP discussions under our Hardware
>forum.

Web forums are an abomination that should be stopped.

Unlike mailing lists:
    - They're not easily archived by individual users to allow
	searches with reasonable tools

    - They require users to periodically poll for new messages.  If I
	have to check once a day, I might answer a post or two and
	forget the rest.  With mailing lists, if I'm waiting for a compile
	to finish I'm likely to respond to the most recent interesting
	message.

    - They require users to be online to read messages (this is bad
	in the backwards places that charge my the minute for
	dialup internet access)

Existing implementations have additional disadvantages compared
to mailing lists, including
    - Bad search facilities
    - Poor support for quoting
    - No support for using a reasonable text editor
    - Slow performance
    - Bad browser compatability (there are a couple that crash netscape)
    - Showing all messages in a thread in chronological order, including
	ones you've already seen

--
For those who do, no explanation is necessary.
For those who don't, no explanation is possible.