Date:      Tue, 07 Sep 1999 03:37:18 -0700
From:      dmp@aracnet.com
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
Cc:        ck@adsu.bellsouth.com, bryan@valiant.cis.hcc.cc.il.us, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Layer 2 ethernet encryption?

"Rodney W. Grimes" wrote:
> > What it comes down to is a hardware-based means of encrypting
> > ethernet traffic in a way that allows only the MAC address to be
> > seen.  I won't go into much detail about the network in question.
> > I will say that an unencrypted MAC address is required, and that only
> > the source and destination computers need know the unencrypted
> > contents of layers 3 and higher.
>
> This can be done, even in software, though it is not going to be either
> fast due to DES or any other cryptograph overhead or easy to do with
> any off the shelf software due to mods required.

Getting software that could do the work isn't a problem.  Running
that software on computers that don't have good FP performance is.

> It might be easier to do this in hardware, just like was done on the
> Wavelan stuff, only modify the crypt/decrypt engine so that it skips
> the MAC address bytes.  You could even glue this into a modified NIC
> card between the NIC chip and the MII with a custom ASIC.  You'd need
> a way to program the keys, and a few other details, but not that hard
> to do.

This was pretty much the idea I had come up with.  I had my eye on
a cypher chip and a socketed ROM that would let you change the keys
for the NIC just by swapping ROMs.  Chassis intrusion is a small risk
in this case.