Date:      Wed, 19 Dec 2001 09:10:38 -0500
From:      Sam Suh <sam@bigstudios.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   freeBSD NFS volume remote mount concern:

Hi, everyone.

I have 4.4 stable RAID 5 machine on the network which will serve as file
server for my SGI and NT users. Problem is, SGI could not mount my NFS
exported 4.4 volume. IRIX version 6.3 will flat out tell me no can do.
It will say "Resource busy", then it says "giving up on: ... ". IRIX 6.5
will mount them. However, even the "ls" on directory with 8 files in
them will take forever. Usually, after 5 minutes of wait, I stop and
kill the "ls" process because it clearly is wrong. The thing is, after
this, IRIX 6.5 refuses to umount the drive. Only after insistent tries
and much after, it will umount the drive. My research on this subject
turned up this handbook article:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/nfs.html.

In it, the section 17.4.5 tells me I can get around this problem with
specifying read/write block size of 1024; however, this does not work.
Has anyone ever had to overcome this hurdle? If you did, I will be much
appreciated if you could give me a pointer on how to solve this. I mean,
I convinced my boss to go with freebsd, siting it is much stable and
powerful OS than Linux or WinNT(yuck!). It will not be looking good if
IRIX couldn't mount freeBSD's NFS.