Date:      Mon, 3 Jul 2000 11:22:12 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dinesh Nadarajah <dindin2k@yahoo.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Keyboard programming - help!

Hi:

I am new to freeBSD and I would like to get some
advice/recommendation regarding keyboard programming.
I am trying to port FREEBSD to one of the Indian
languages (and could possiblely be used for many of
them) and so I would like to find out how to program
the keyboard to accept key sequences for that. Here is
my problem:

The output keycode will not only depend the current
key input, but also on th previous one. e.g. if the
input sequence is ABCD - then the output sequence may
be RG<DEL>W<DEL> ( <DEL> meaning erase the previous
code). How can I accomplish this so that all
applications (mostly X based ones) can use such a
scheme. I was thinking of writing a middle ware
application that can be started and stopped at will.
Anytime this application runs, it should intercept all
keyboard codes, process them and then retransmit it so
that what ever application can use it. The program
will be able to switch between standard keyboard and
also the special keyboard.

BTW: This problem is not unique. I have been in
contact will several embedded systems manufacturers
who also want such implementation for control systems
processing.

ANy help/advice/opinion/direction/recommendation on
this matter will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

-Dinesh