Date:      Sat, 4 May 2002 18:25:38 -0700
From:      "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: BIND in -stable

On 4 May 2002, at 16:34, Doug Barton boldly uttered:

> On Sat, 4 May 2002, Philip J. Koenig wrote:
>
> > > Date: Sat, 4 May 2002 14:16:07 -0700 (PDT)
> > > From: Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>

> > > 	Users who depend on BIND can install a newer version from the
> > > ports. Users who don't are not affected by the problems in 8.2.4.
> >

> > This interesting - because there was no FreeBSD advisory released
> > recently about any Bind vulnerabilities that I can recall, and even
> > though on ISC's Bind homepage it suggests there is a security problem
> > with 8.2.4 (or pre 8.3.1 versions), on the security page (linked
> > right from the text suggesting you to upgrade) it implies that there
> > isn't any problem with 8.2.4:
>
> 	You have made some rather absurd non sequiturs here. However, I
> have clearly said on numerous occasions that BIND 8 users should be using
> 8.3.1. A quick look at the CHANGES file should convince you of that. If
> you want to quibble about what the ISC web page does or doesn't say,
> that's up to you.

Caveat: I just went back over the last few days of -stable, and see
that some of these issues had already been mentioned. (ie the issue
of ISC's own security page possibly not being up to date)

However, with all due respect, I expect to hear about security-
related issues (especially pertaining to code shipped with the base
system) on the -security list and particularly via security
announcements, and looking at my archives and the FreeBSD homepage I
see that there haven't been any advisories this year pertaining to
BIND. (whereas I've gotten security advisories for obscure little
ports [Cyrus-SASL?] that few people probably run)

I don't CVSup constantly on most of my boxes, generally only when
there are major security issues that have no easy workaround or when
I need some new feature.. much less read CHANGES on every piece of
contributed code that comes with the base system.

Certainly I would never have expected to have to read  /usr/src/
contrib/bind/CHANGES weekly to find out about BIND vulnerabilities..
maybe it's just a personal quirk.

--
Philip J. Koenig                                       pjklist@ekahuna.com
Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New Millenium