Date:      Wed, 21 Feb 2001 02:18:27 +0100
From:      "Michal Kutnohorsky" <kutny@centrum.cz>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   problem with pci/sci 3com ethernet cards

hi,

i have one question about pci / sci ethernet cards.
in my pc i had 1 3com card 3c509b during instalation, i set up brodcast, ip,
netmask etc. this card works ok. This card is SCI

Now i had to add another 100MB 3com card type 3c505c due to my pc will be
router and gateway. This card is PCI.
So i inserted it to pc, but the kernel didnt detect the card, bios yes so i
tried another card, again 3com type 3c509b 10MB SCI.
Kernel found this card, but showed message about that the card isnt ready to
be set UP. /i supposed that is caused the card hadnt set up ip, broadcast
etc./
The kernel was continuing with detecting second card, it was ok, then it
wrote message about setting hostname and at this point kernel STOPS and
doesnt do nothing else, no error message, just nothing.

Now im reading documentation about kompiling new kernel and im not sure if
its neccessary to built new kernel or not.

Final version of configuration should be 2 3com cards, 1st 3c509b 10MB SCI,
2nd 3c505c 100MB/10MB

Please can you advice me with it, if its possible?

Thank you very much

michal

Michal Kutnohorsky
+420 608 88 18 47