Date:      Mon, 14 Aug 2000 10:16:50 -0400
From:      "Gray, David W." <David_W_Gray@tvratings.com>
To:        "'FreeBSD Current list'" <FreeBSD-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   make release problem

I had earlier written (to deafening silence) that I had
been unable to build a release from current. Buildworlds
worked OK, but make release didn't.

I have since figured out what was not working, but
this leads to another question. On my particular box,
I don't have a whole lot of room on /usr, so I was
building the world on /home, e.g.
export MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=/home/current. The world would
build, but make release died compiling the boot crunch.
There are a slew of derived files in /bin/sh - yacc output
and such - that are not found. I discovered that just
symlinking /usr/obj to the right place, and not setting
MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX works just fine. I made a shot at trying
to fix this, but quite frankly I must agree with the comment
in the release Makefile - "You are not expected to like this."

Is this considered a bug worth fixing? If not, at least this will
be in the archive for the next confused person...