Date:      Thu, 01 Jul 1999 17:18:21 +0200
From:      Roelof Osinga <roelof@eboa.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   IP alias routing problem

Given the following in rc.conf:

ifconfig_ep1="inet 212.187.0.39 netmask 255.255.248.0"
ifconfig_ep1_alias0="inet 194.134.130.170 194.134.128.1 netmask 255.255.252.0"

I have solved the accessibility problem of my old IP address. However, I
would also like to be able to route packets within -net 194.134 through
that alias' path.

So I tried the following:

route add -net 194.134 194.134.128.1

only to find it still routes through the primary IP address. The text
in the route manpage also isn't exactly helpful, to wit:

     In a change or add command where the destination and gateway are not suf-
     ficient to specify the route (as in the ISO case where several interfaces
     may have the same address), the -ifp or -ifa modifiers may be used to de-
     termine the interface or interface address.

constitutes the sum total of explanations regarding those modifiers.

It looks like I might need them.

Anybody have any pointers?

Roelof

PS something related I noted is that running natd over an aliassed IP
address will not work. It's probably not a bug, more like a quirk?

--
Home is where the (@) http://eboa.com/ is.