Date:      Wed, 30 May 2001 11:30:20 +0300
From:      Veaceslav Revutchi <sl@zeus.dnt.md>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ping result val. question

Hi

I am confused as to why I get different return values
to a ping if run o a command line vs crontab.

Here is a small script:

#!/bin/sh
ping -c 2 somehost.somedomain.com > /dev/null
echo $? >> /var/log/ping.log

Now if I run it on command line I get a normal result code described
in the ping man page and sysexits.h. If I run it from crontab I get a
127 res. val. no matter if the ping was succesful or not.

Can someone explain this behaviour please.
thanks
slava