Date:      Thu, 11 May 2000 17:03:23 -0500
From:      "TAZ Gravel, Emmanuel" <EGravel@taz.telusa.com>
To:        "'freebsd-net@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Weirdness in small network

------_=_NextPart_001_01BFBB94.B9A95720

I have a small network of about 20 machines, running many Unix-like
OS'es of different age (some as old as over 10 years, discontinued).
Something strange happened recently: two of the machines can't
talk to each other, but can talk to the rest of the network. The network
is primarily coax (10b2) but has a hub here and there, to add machines
that have 10bT interfaces. All machines in the same network address
space, and all have same netmask, so routing and other networking
issues aren't a problem. Pinging doesn't work between each other
(host unreachable) but can ping anywhere else in the network. Both
machines are in the middle of the chain so hardware problems aren't
an issue.

The only truly odd thing I found was looking at the ARP cache. For
one of the machines, it does have the proper MAC address associated
with the IP address. This is a machine with the 10 year old OS. The
other machine only shows (incomplete) instead of the proper info. I
tried hardcoding the values in there but it didn't produce any results.
I know no firewalling is in place. Right now I'm stuck and don't know
where else to look.

Anyone have any idea what this could be?

Please also forward directly to me since I can't subscribe to mailing
lists here.

Thanks,

Emmanuel Gravel

------_=_NextPart_001_01BFBB94.B9A95720

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=us-ascii">
<META NAME="Generator" CONTENT="MS Exchange Server version 5.5.2650.12">
<TITLE>Weirdness in small network</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=2 FACE="Arial">I have a small network of about 20 machines, running many Unix-like</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2 FACE="Arial">OS'es of different age (some as old as over 10 years, discontinued).</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2 FACE="Arial">Something strange happened recently: two of the machines can't</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2 FACE="Arial">talk to each other, but can talk to the rest of the network. The network</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2 FACE="Arial">is primarily coax (10b2) but has a hub here and there, to add machines</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2 FACE="Arial">that have 10bT interfaces. All machines in the same network address</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2 FACE="Arial">space, and all have same netmask, so routing and other networking</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2 FACE="Arial">issues aren't a problem. Pinging doesn't work between each other</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2 FACE="Arial">(host unreachable) but can ping anywhere else in the network. Both</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2 FACE="Arial">machines are in the middle of the chain so hardware problems aren't</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2 FACE="Arial">an issue.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2 FACE="Arial">The only truly odd thing I found was looking at the ARP cache. For</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2 FACE="Arial">one of the machines, it does have the proper MAC address associated</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2 FACE="Arial">with the IP address. This is a machine with the 10 year old OS. The</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2 FACE="Arial">other machine only shows (incomplete) instead of the proper info. I</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2 FACE="Arial">tried hardcoding the values in there but it didn't produce any results.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2 FACE="Arial">I know no firewalling is in place. Right now I'm stuck and don't know</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2 FACE="Arial">where else to look.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2 FACE="Arial">Anyone have any idea what this could be?</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2 FACE="Arial">Please also forward directly to me since I can't subscribe to mailing</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2 FACE="Arial">lists here.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2 FACE="Arial">Thanks,</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2 FACE="Arial">Emmanuel Gravel</FONT>
</P>

</BODY>
</HTML>
------_=_NextPart_001_01BFBB94.B9A95720--