Date:      Thu, 23 Jul 1998 09:57:45 -0400
From:      Roman Katsnelson <romank@graphnet.com>
To:        "q's" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD or LINUX??? - Which one should I choose?

--------------1ECAF3C4B649501F257900AF

FreeBSD vs. Linux

I would recommend FreeBSD (I have used both, and am now completely
switched to FBSD). The differences are thus:

****OBJECTIVE*****
1. FreeBSD is a direct derivative of BSD Unix. -- Linux is an
independent _Unix-like_ OS
2. FreeBSD, while it does supply you with source code, is generally
developed by one team. If there are more distributions, they're all the
same. -- Linux's distributions vary, anyone can add to the kernel.

****SUBJECTIVE*****
3. However, at the moment, Linux is more popular and there is more
software for it, HOWEVER FreeBSD has over 1500 ports and growing.
4. FreeBSD is much friendlier to a new user.
5. This list. This list is amazing -- I have only started on FreeBSD
about a month ago and everyone has been a _tremendous_ help.
6. I have Apache, RADIUS and INN running on a FreeBSD machine and it
handles it beautifully (the same load that used to regularly crash a
Solaris-run Sparc20!)

        |         Roman Katsnelson                |
        |         UNIX Network Engineer           |
      _ |         Graphnet, Inc.                  | _
    / / |  "Laws are like sausages. You have      | \ \
  _( (_ |   more respect for them if you haven't  | _) )_
 (((\ \>|_/-)seen how they're made." -Bismarck(-\_|</ /)))
  \       /    Email: romank@graphnet.com       \       /