Date:      Fri, 13 Mar 1998 21:05:34 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: binutils bloat

> > Erk.  That's kinda ugly; this isn't something that could be trivially
> > automated I suppose.
>
> It was born ugly (GPL). Automated? I'm not sure. Somewhere you have
> to store the config and it's not just a matter of running `configure'

... or more to the point the configuration isn't a uniform item; it
varies with target.  So unless you have a list of known targets on hand,
you can't do it "automatically".

IMHO that's a pretty strong selection criteria for what to include from
binutils; if there's a canned gas config for a target, then the files
that target requires should be included.