Date:      Mon, 4 Jun 2001 08:47:31 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Mike Holling <myke@ees.com>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Full duplex on ALS120?

I'm trying to revive an old program I originally wrote two years ago,
using OSS sound drivers and FreeBSD 3.x.  It compiles on my 4.3-RELEASE
box, but I can't seem to put the card into full-duplex mode.  The dmesg
output is

sbc0: <Avance Logic ALS120> at port 0x220-0x22f irq 5 drq 1,0 on isa0
pcm0: <SB16 DSP 4.02 (ViBRA16X)> on sbc0

and /dev/sndstat emits

FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm) May 20 2001 20:36:50
Installed devices:
pcm0: <SB16 DSP 4.02 (ViBRA16X)> at io 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 (1p/1r channels)

The "duplex" keyword is notably missing from the sndstat output.  Does
newpcm support duplex operation for this chipset?  I have an AudioPCI card
I could put back in my machine, this is what I originally used and it did
work in full-duplex mode (after figuring out exactly how to prep the OSS
drivers to sync the record and playback buffers).  The ALS120 specs claim
that the chipset is duplex capable, so I'm guessing that this capability
has not yet been implemented in the newpcm driver for this chipset.  Is
there a way to find out which chipsets newpcm has duplex support for,
other than installing a card and trying it out?

- Mike