Date:      Wed, 15 Dec 2004 22:49:17 +0200
From:      Juho Vuori <juho.vuori@kepa.fi>
To:        freebsd-gnome@lists.freebsd.org
Subject:   Building gnome from CVS

Hello,

This is very likely to be a FAQ, but I failed to get much help by
googling or reading freebsd-gnome faq, so here we go:

I'm trying to build gnome from gnome cvs-tree, but I got stuck quite
soon. I have gnome 2.8 installed from ports on my machine.

I begin by guilding gnome-common-module. It builds fine.

Next, let's take gtkhtml:

$ ./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr/local/dev

Checking for required M4 macros...
  libtool.m4 not found
  glib-gettext.m4 not found
  intltool.m4 not found
  pkg.m4 not found
Checking for forbidden M4 macros...
***Error***: some autoconf macros required to build gtkhtml
  were not found in your aclocal path, or some forbidden
  macros were found.  Perhaps you need to adjust your
  ACLOCAL_FLAGS?

Ok, we can get past most of this by setting
ACLOCAL_FLAGS="-I /usr/local/share/aclocal/", but what is this
libtool.m4? Where should it be located?

$ locate libtool.m4
/usr/ports/graphics/dri/work/xc/extras/expat/conftools/libtool.m4
/usr/ports/x11-servers/xorg-server/work/xc/extras/expat/conftools/libtool.m4
/usr/src/contrib/bind9/lib/bind/libtool.m4
/usr/src/contrib/bind9/libtool.m4
/usr/src/contrib/binutils/libtool.m4
/usr/src/contrib/gdb/libtool.m4

Now, most of these files are radically different, but as I couldn't
really think of much else, I just used the one
in /usr/src/contrib/binutils/. I've got libtool installed (both versions
1.3 and 1.5).

On we go:

$ ACLOCAL_FLAGS="-I /usr/local/share/aclocal/
-I /usr/src/contrib/binutils/" ./autogen.sh --prefix /usr/local/dev

I'll get loads of warnings like:
/usr/X11R6/share/aclocal/gtk.m4:7: warning: underquoted definition of AM_PATH_GTK

And:

./configure: line 20478: syntax error near unexpected token `yes'
./configure: line 20478: `GNOME_COMPILE_WARNINGS(yes)'

Ok, exactly the line 20478 of ./configure is empty, but this quite
likely refers to line 20481, which says

GNOME_COMPILE_WARNINGS(yes)

It looks like a m4-macro that never got expanded.

I'm stuck here. I can just comment the line, and configure passes, but
make will eventually die this way. (make: don't know how to make
GNOME_GtkHTML_Editor-3.6.server. Stop)

I don't understand how all those gnu development tools work, so maybe
I'm just doing something really stupid here. In any case, could someone
please help me with these?

Juho Vuori