Date:      Wed, 29 Jun 2005 01:33:49 +0200
From:      "Alexander S. Usov" <A.S.Usov@KVI.nl>
To:        Eric Anholt <eta@lclark.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: QT4 perfomance.

On Wednesday 29 June 2005 01:21, Eric Anholt wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-06-28 at 23:34 +0200, Alexander S. Usov wrote:
> > I think I am not the first to notice it, but still I think it's worth
> > asking :)
> >
> > Thanks to the final release of qt4 I decided to give it a try and to
> > watch some of their samples. I have tried it on 2 machines, one having
> > matrox g550 in it, and other with radeon mobility 9000.
> >
> > It really sucks :)
> > I mean visually it's quite nice, but even in the mainwindow demo (the one
> > with a bunch of docked windows in it) it feels really *slow* and eats up
> > 100% of cpu. HW acceleration is working on both machines.
> > Does anybody knows if it is just due to sloppy coding of the demos, or we
> > will have to wait till next xorg release with KAA it to be able to use
> > it? The most funny part is that it works like a charm under windows.
>
> If they're using cairo, it's going to be slow.  The cairo folks have
> just started on performance, and they tell me there's a lot of
> low-hanging fruit.  And XAA makes render acceleration (the operations
> that cairo pretty much consists of, in the absence of glitz) really hard
> -- factor of 10 performance loss, in the few cases it can accelerate at
> all.
>
> Hopefully EXA (the KAA-in-Xorg) will hit the tree soon and we can start
> converting drivers -- I started on MGA for practice last night, and it
> should be pretty easy.  In the meantime, xorg-server-snap will provide
> some limited improvements, thanks to better software fallbacks for
> render (from Zack Rusin of trolltech).

I can't find any signs of cairo in it, but the origin of the problem is
probably same.

Btw, as you have mentioned of mga -- I have send a separate letter on this,
but it looks it didn't reached the list. Since some time now (probably since
last xorg upgrade, but I am not really sure) I see the following warnings
running glxgears/glxinfo (maybe some more, just not sure right now)

libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x23
libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x24
libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x27
libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x28
libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x2b
libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x2c
libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x2f
libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x30

The machine has mga g550 in it.
I don't see any other problems/slowdowns othervise. Is it something to worry
about?

--
Best regards,
  Alexander.