Date:      Thu, 06 Mar 2003 09:17:25 -0300
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@tcoip.com.br>
To:        Michal Mertl <mime@traveller.cz>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: potential for foot-shooting with KLD's

Michal Mertl wrote:

> Imagine you decided to go with modular kernel. You comment out 'device
> random' in your kernel-config and place 'random_load=3D"YES"' in
> /boot/loader.conf. When you reboot and don't rebuild the kernel first, =
you
> have your machine unbootable - at least in case you previously had acpi=
 in
> your kernel and acpi doesn't work without OS supplied dsdt (as in my
> case) or you need acpi as a module or any other module.
>
> The way out is to boot from install CDROM, have fixit floppy, mount the=

> old root and remove the random.ko module. Which is pretty inconvenient,=

> when you don't have the medias handy.
>
> The problem is that I can't ask loader not to load some module. It does=
n't
> understand 'unset XX_load'. It doesn't work to say 'set XX_load=3D"NO"'=

> either. The only way I found to make it not load the modules is to 'loa=
> /boot/kernel/kernel;set module_path=3D"";boot'. Unfortunately it doesn'=
> help me either because I need to load special acpi_dsdt.aml which isn't=

> then loaded either.
>
> The fix could be to be able to say 'unset XX_load' or make 'set
> XX_load=3D"NO"' work.  The other fix (probably more difficult to do)
> would be to make all modules loading/linking fail when they're
> statically compiled in.

I'm working on replacing the present loader.conf support code with=20
something that would let you do just that. Recent panics on current have =

stalled this work, though.

At any rate, this should work:

(enter loader, interrupt autoboot)
unload
disable-module random
boot

MMMmmmmm. Let me try that... Yep, it works. And it's documented in=20
loader.4th(8) too.

Now, I'll be the first to agree with you that the man pages that talk=20
about boot are a maze. loader.4th(8) is mentioned in loader.conf(5),=20
which is but a SEE ALSO of loader(8), which is referred to in boot(8).

The command doesn't appear on "?", though. *That* is a problem. I swear=20
I was overloading "?" to display the enhanced commands once loader.4th=20
was, well, loaded, but it seems that isn't the case.

--=20
Daniel C. Sobral
Ger=EAncia de Opera=E7=F5es
Divis=E3o de Comunica=E7=E3o de Dados
Coordena=E7=E3o de Seguran=E7a
TCO
Fones: 55-61-313-7654/Cel: 55-61-9618-0904
E-mail:	Daniel.Capo@tco.net.br
	Daniel.Sobral@tcoip.com.br
	dcs@tcoip.com.br