Date:      Wed, 29 Sep 1999 21:02:12 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        rhavyn@syru205-140.syr.edu (Chris Conrad)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2 questions

[Wow... Please find the return key. Keep it under 80 columns.]

Chris Conrad wrote,
> Hi.  I just installed FreeBSD 3.3-Release but cannot get 2 things to work.
> I have 2 machines connected to the LAN, the FreeBSD box and a Linux box.  The linux box has 2 nic's and is ip-masq'ing for the FreeBSD box.  The network seems set up properly, I can connected to the outside world with the FreeBSD box with no problems and NFS between the 2 machines works great.
>
> 1. NIS.  The linux box is running ypserv-1.3.6 (according to the rpm -q output).  It can bind to itself.  The problem is that the FreeBSD box will not connected to the ypserv on the linux box.  I have tried letting it use broadcasts, using -S to specify the machine and have tried using only a secure port.  ypbind gives no error message, just returns the prompt.  ypwhich, however just hangs.  Oddly, rpcinfo -p either by itself or rpmcinfo -p localhost also hangs (it seems alot of network apps including telnet and ftp have problems with localhost).  /etc/hosts has localhost, the name of the FreeBSD box and the linux gateway all specified.  rpcinfo -p <hostname> does give output and it says that ypbind is running.  Both systems are using md5 for encryption.  Is there a problem with using an linux NIS server with FreeBSD, or is this a local problem? Any ideas?

This sounds like the loopback problem people have been having. Is your
loopback device (lo0) configured properly? What does 'ifconfig lo0'
return?

> 2. Is there an identd for FreeBSD that understands ip-masq?

I'm no identd expert, but I do not see how a machine on a NATed net
would need 'understand' anything. I mean, as far as it can tell, there
is nothing special going on between it and the outside world. Wouldn't
it have to be up to the machine doing the NAT to patch things together?