Date:      Mon, 22 Jul 1996 17:42:20 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Veggy Vinny <richardc@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD-current users <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: bootstrap

On Mon, 22 Jul 1996, J Wunsch wrote:

> As Veggy Vinny wrote:
>
> > 	Just tried it as disklabel -B wd0 but no luck... I'm using a
> > Western Digital WDAC31600 Caviar EIDE HD in LBA mode under -current and
> > in the Booteasy menu, when I hit F2 for FreeBSD, it just redisplays the
> > Booteasy menu again in a loop.....  Is there a way I can fix this?
>
> By using a Real Disk.

	Yeah, I know but the problem is my Seagate 4 GIG Barrcuda is still
back at Seagate and I still haven't seen it for the last 3-4 months so I
have to use this for now..

> No, sorry, i don't have a clue about the implications of using LBA
> mode.  I decided to not bother with this half-designed approach, and
> to ignore IDE for the rest of my life except for some situations like
> notebooks.

	Hmmm, who is the one who actually does the EIDE support in
-current because I remember that before FreeBSD wouldn't let a disk using
LBA to even install when it was 2.0.5R so my original Conner CFA1275A
1.275 Gig Drive was installed as Normal for the BIOS mode and it worked
fine.  But with this drive (Western Digital WDAC31600 1.6 GIG EIDE), I
remember reading on -current mailing list that it supported LBA so I just
installed the DOS partition using 540 megs and had the drive setted up as
LBA Bios Mode.  I then just transfered the entire Conner drive contents
to the WD.

> You certainly either have to get a really good picture about who uses
> which figures (BIOS, BSD, other systems on the same disk), or you have
> to teach the wdc driver about LBA addressing.  Pick your more favorite
> choice. :-]

	Actually, here is the interesting part, I tried putting the drive
back in NORMAL mode and the DOS partition boots fine but the Booteasy
menu still does the same thing so I boot from the second drive and tell
it to boot wd(0,a)/kernel and it says something about the cylinder count
greater than 1023 and didn't boot but would putting the drive back in
NORMAL and then bootstrap actually solve this problem?

> (Btw., this wasn't a question of the BSD bootstrap from the beginning,
> that's why disklabel -B didn't change the behaviour.)

	Hmmm, I thought I messed up the bootstrap somehow since the
booteasy menu came up as someone I know with the same drive has it in LBA
mode and the drive boots FreeBSD without any problems.

Vince