Date:      Tue, 18 Sep 2001 22:36:16 +0100
From:      Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        Aram Khalili <aram@cs.umd.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: corrupted superblock/fsck problem

In message <Pine.SOL.4.21.0109181213220.10298-100000@toblerone.cs.umd.edu>, Ara
m Khalili writes:

>Yikes, I had assumed it starts at block 0.  So what did I clobber?  The
>boot block?  The /home filesystem isn't bootable ...

It depends a bit on how the disk is partitioned. If /home was
located at the beginning of a slice, then you might have overwritten
the disklabel in sector 1 (i.e. the second sector). On a bootable
slice, sectors 0 and 2-15 are used by the boot code, and on a
"dangerously dedicated" disk, sector 0 also contains the DOS
partition table. Another possibility is that you wrote more than
8k to the start of the partition so maybe you did actually clobber
the master superblock.

>It doesn't include the count of used/free inodes and blocks in the
>filesystem (not the bitmap, just the count)?  I'm more familiar with ext2,
>and I think it does.

Yes, there are summary statistics kept in the superblock, but the
kernel only ever looks at the master superblock, so it doesn't
matter if the backup superblocks are not kept up-to-date. The only
thing that reads the backup superblocks is fsck, and it has to know
how to recalculate those counts and statistics anyway, since they
will be wrong after an unclean shutdown.

Ian