Date:      Fri, 18 Jul 2008 15:32:11 +0700
From:      Victor Sudakov <vas@mpeks.tomsk.su>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: need help with boot forth

Victor Sudakov wrote:

> I am setting up a jumpstart server for networked FreeBSD installation
> (tftp only). My /tftpboot/boot/loader.rc is rather simple:
>
> load /boot/kernel
> load /boot/acpi.ko
> load -t mfs_root /boot/mfsroot
> set vfs.root.mountfrom="ufs:/dev/md0c"
> boot
>
> It works fine with a custom kernel (with statically compiled in device hints).
>
> However, I would like to use a stock kernel, so I need to tftp download
> device.hints and set the kernel environment accordingly. Could you
> please help me with the loader.rc code that will do that?

I have found out that putting device hints into loader.rc in the form
of loader environment variables:

set hint.fdc.0.at="isa"
set hint.fdc.0.port="0x3F0"
set hint.fdc.0.irq="6"
set hint.fdc.0.drq="2"
set hint.fd.0.at="fdc0"
set hint.fd.0.drive="0"
set hint.fd.1.at="fdc0"
set hint.fd.1.drive="1"
set hint.ata.0.at="isa"
set hint.ata.0.port="0x1F0"
set hint.ata.0.irq="14"

does the job.

However, if some Forth guru shows me how to tftp download and parse
/tftpboot/boot/device.hints, I'd be most grateful.

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
sip:sudakov@sibptus.tomsk.ru