Date:      Wed, 6 May 1998 17:39:09 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Jim Van Baalen <vansax@mail.websidestory.com>
Cc:        Nicole <freelist@webweaver.net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Appropriate 100bt NIC for NFS

In the last episode (May 06), Jim Van Baalen said:
> I have hardwired FDX on the switches, but don't know how to tell what
> the Intel EE chose. Pointers? I am concerned about this because I
> see collisions
>
> bash-2.01$ netstat -i -w 5
>             input        (Total)           output
>    packets  errs      bytes    packets  errs      bytes colls
>       6878     0     945830       7468     0    1961878   298
>       7332     0    1021859       7423     0    1583231   224
>
> I shouldn't see collisions if both sides are FDX?? Otherwise the card
> seems happy (no packet loss etc).

Rght; full-duplex means no collisions.  The EE probably is in
half-duplex mode.

If your switch can autonegotiate speed, set to to auto; the EE should
negotiate 100/FD within 5 secs.  If you try and force the speed on one
end, you usually have to force the same speed at the other end, or
autonegotiate may fail.

You can force the fxp driver to 100/FD with the command

ifconfig fxp0 media 100baseTX mediaopt full-duplex

, and you can set it back to auto with

ifconfig fxp0 media autoselect

	-Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com