Date:      Wed, 15 Mar 2006 10:36:43 -0500 (EST)
From:      Wesley Morgan <morganw@chemikals.org>
To:        Norberto Meijome <freebsd@meijome.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What laptop do you recommend?

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006, Norberto Meijome wrote:

> What about DELL laptops? any model I should stick to? Thinkpads are a
> bit pricey for me atm. (Greg Lehey i think was using dells... could
> well be wrong...)
>
> Alternatively, has anyone got a model of *new* Toshiba laptops
> fully working ?

I'm a huge Toshiba fan, and a HUGE fan of the touchpoint/accupoint
devices. As of yesterday I replaced my Satellite Pro 6000 with a new
M5-S433. Speaking for -current, not -stable, it boots fine, detects the
gig ethernet with the em driver, serial port, usb, touchpad (bleh!), etc
work fine. The ATA driver is identified as a "GENERIC ATA controller" and
the drive is listed as UDMA33, which is either incorrect (the drive is
SATA, I've removed it) or it's just using a SATA-PATA bridge internally.
X11 starts up with the nv driver just fine, right now it's humming away
beside me installing KDE. The only things that do not work are the builtin
wireless, which should have a driver soon, and the sound, which I hope
will also have some support soon!

I have had a couple of quirks -- several times it has booted up but the
ATA driver never saw the HD, but a reboot later it was finding it just
fine. I also had trouble getting it to attach to an atheros card I was
inserting, but I think that was related to the BIOS setting for device
resource allocation rather than a kernel problem. Once i've had it a
little longer I'll drop in on the -multimedia list and see if I can spur a
little work on the sound. Everything else seems in order.