Date:      Wed, 6 Feb 2002 12:56:13 +0200
From:      Marcus Collins <marcus@writeclick.co.za>
To:        jacks@sage-american.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ports installing "old" Samba

On Tue,  5 Feb 2002 at 21:32:40 -0600, jacks@sage-american.com wrote:

> Earlier this past week, I mentioned that on one of our boxes running FBSD
> 4.5-Stable that when installing Samba from ports, it was installing an
> older version (samba-2.0.10) than the one it was supposed to, i.e.,
> samba-2.2.2 according to its distinfo file. The general reaction is that
> this shouldn't happen. I agree, but it did and did again... after
> deinstalling the old version, it tried again to get the new version, but
> gave up and installed the old one again. Why, I still wonder..?? Here's the
> make fetching from the /usr/ports/net/samba/:
>
> root@sageman>> make
> >> samba-2.2.2.tar.gz doesn't seem to exist in /usr/ports/distfiles/.
> >> Attempting to fetch from ftp://ftp.samba.org/pub/samba/./.
> fetch: samba-2.2.2.tar.gz: File unavailable (e.g., file not found, no access)
> >> Attempting to fetch from ftp://samba.anu.edu.au/pub/samba/./.
> fetch: samba-2.2.2.tar.gz: File unavailable (e.g., file not found, no access)
> >> Attempting to fetch from ftp://de.samba.org/pub/mirror/samba/./.
> fetch: samba-2.2.2.tar.gz: File unavailable (e.g., file not found, no access)
> >> Attempting to fetch from ftp://se.samba.org/pub/samba/./.
> fetch: samba-2.2.2.tar.gz: File unavailable (e.g., file not found, no access)
> >> Attempting to fetch from ftp://ftp.sunet.se/pub/unix/utilities/samba/./.
> fetch: samba-2.2.2.tar.gz: File unavailable (e.g., file not found, no access)
> >> Attempting to fetch from ftp://ftp.samba.org/pub/samba/old-versions/.
>
> ...see the last line above winds up fetching the "old version".

It's just trying to fetch samba-2.2.2.tar.gz from the old-versions
directory, because your port for it was not up to date. This from the
Makefile for samba:

  MASTER_SITES=   ftp://ftp.samba.org/pub/samba/%SUBDIR%/ \
                  ftp://samba.anu.edu.au/pub/samba/%SUBDIR%/ \
                  ftp://de.samba.org/pub/mirror/samba/%SUBDIR%/ \
                  ftp://se.samba.org/pub/samba/%SUBDIR%/ \
                  ftp://ftp.sunet.se/pub/unix/utilities/samba/%SUBDIR%/
  MASTER_SITE_SUBDIR=     . old-versions old

It checks old-versions and old because the maintainer of the master site
presumably moves the older versions out of the main download directory
to keep things tidy. So yes, you were fetching the old version, but only
because your port was for the old version.

> I finally fixed it by deleting the whole samba port and re-cvsuping... and
> this time I got an even later version samba-2.2.3 (from the same mirror as
> a few minutes before).

The port was updated 2002/02/03 04:45:50. When you fetched it after
this, it retrieved it from the main download directory.

> Still wonder why the ports are doing this....?? (tried different mirror too).

The port is working as designed -- it's just that the master site has a
different practice to some others, and the port's Makefile accommodates
that.

Cheers!

-- Marcus