Date:      Tue, 02 Jul 2002 12:34:18 -0400
From:      "Jud" <jud@myrealbox.com>
To:        bob89@garbonzo.hos.ufl.edu
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, shamrock@cypherpunks.to
Subject:   Re: Re: FreeBSD problem: $50 reward.

-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Johnson <bob89@garbonzo.hos.ufl.edu>
To: questions@freebsd.org
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 10:54:14 -0400
Subject: Re: FreeBSD problem: $50 reward.

"Lucky Green" <shamrock@cypherpunks.to> wrote
> Fifty bucks to the person that is first to help me solve this problem.
>=20
> I have a brand new Asus A7V333 motherboard with the latest BIOS version
> 1007. I am trying to install FreeBSD 4.6 via floppies onto a brand new
> Western Digital WD1200AB 120GB IDE drive. I have installed FreeBSD many
> times before going back to FreeBSD 2.x.
>=20
> The partition editor and disklabel only see 8056MB of my 120GB drive. In
> other words, I am being stopped by the 8.4GB barrier. Obviously, Asus'
> new motherboard supports IDE drives larger than 8.4GB.  Following some
> suggestions, I wrote a slice and disklabels to the drive at 8.4GB. This
> did not help. The drive is still only being recognized at 8.4GB.
[snip]
2) Make sure the drive is not jumpered to report only the first 1024
   cylinders to the BIOS.  Some drives come with the jumper installed
   by default, for compatibility with older BIOSes.
[snip]
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

That's not the default on the A7V333.  There's room
for 4 IDE drives, 2 on a Promise controller with
RAID capability, 2 others.  The Promise controller
is jumpered by default to enable RAID.  As Jack
Stone suggested, Lucky may want to try running his
drive without RAID enabled, either by changing the
jumper or using the non-RAID IDE controller.

There's also the possibility this is a problem with
the ata driver in 4.6-RELEASE when used with very
large hard drives, something I mentioned in a previous
message.

Jud