Date:      Sun, 15 Jan 2006 20:55:38 -0500
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>
Subject:   Re: MOVED - from == to?

--n8g4imXOkfNTN/H1

On Sun, Jan 15, 2006 at 05:07:35PM -0600, Mark Linimon wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 15, 2006 at 12:48:28PM -0500, Dan Langille wrote:
> > Can the FROM field be the same as the TO field in ports/MOVED?  I=20
> > think not.
>=20
> eik and I were trying to convince people that that would be a good
> technique to note 'previously removed port has been reinstated', but I
> don't think we convinced anyone.
>=20
> My original interpretation of MOVED, when I built portsmon, was that
> it contained a complete historical record of ports that had been
> deleted and/or moved.  To build the view of the 'latest' change, portsmon
> walks the tree and follows multiple entries.  The reason I did it this
> way is that so I could say 'PR #xyz was orginally about foo/bar-devel but
> now it is about foo/bar since that's where foo/bar-devel got moved to."
>=20
> However, I also failed to convince people that keeping the historical
> entries was useful, and now some (but not all) of them have been flushed.
>=20
> Given that, we might as well flush the rest of them, and the from=3Dto
> entries as well.

There's a larger problem which is that it's impossible to correctly
parse the information in MOVED as it currently stands.  e.g.

editors/emacs|editors/emacs19|2004-03-20|emacs 19.x moved to a non-default =
port location
editors/emacs21|editors/emacs|2004-03-20|emacs 21.x moved to default port l=
ocation

The intention of the above is that old versions of editors/emacs
(which were emacs 19.x) should be followed to editors/emacs19.  But a
newer editors/emacs port is 21.x, so it should not follow there.

The way MOVED was intended to be parsed was to start at the
"appropriate date" in the file and only parse entries after this date.
The problem is that there's no unambigious way to determine
"appropriate date": it's supposed to mean the date of the port from
which the package was built, but this is not recorded in the package
(or clearly defined itself: in most cases it's the date of the port
Makefile, except for ports that .include other things,
i.e. potentially every port).

A better solution might be to additionally record the PKGVERSION of
the port at the date of the MOVED entry, since this may be easily
parsed and used to determine whether the entry applies to a given
package.  The problem is that PKGVERSION is not always uniquely
defined and may sometimes depend on OSVERSION and other factors.

I don't know how to fix this.

Kris

--n8g4imXOkfNTN/H1

--n8g4imXOkfNTN/H1--