Date:      Sat, 27 Dec 1997 13:53:09 -0500
From:      "Jordyn A. Buchanan" <jordyn@bestweb.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Unmounting file systems properly.

Lately, when I reboot a computer using either reboot or shutdown -r, the
system will often start up complaining that drives were not mounted cleanly
and need to fsck all the filesystems.  This is ocurring on my systems
running both 2.2.5-STABLE and 3.0-CURRENT.

Am I missing something?  Is there some new procudure that I'm not aware of
to safely shutdown other than using "shutdown"?  Is there some sort of bug
in "reboot" causing this to happen that I could avoid by using shutdown -h
or halt and then rebooting by hand?

Jordyn

|Jordyn A. Buchanan                    mailto:jordyn@bestweb.net |
|Bestweb Corporation                      http://www.bestweb.net |
|Senior System Administrator                     +1.914.271.4500 |