Date:      Mon, 5 Jul 1999 15:36:47 +0930 (CST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kkennawa@physics.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        Derek Jewett <djewett@snowcrest.net>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Secure FTP...

On Fri, 2 Jul 1999, Derek Jewett wrote:

> Using 3.1-R I need to provide a secure ftp login for an account. I want
> the user to have write only access to their usr/home/user directory... I
> perused the man page for chown and chgrp, and found how to change rights
> on indevidual files but not directories...  Could someone steer me to the
> man page I need.. Thanks

chown and chgrp work on directories as well as files.

If you want the user to only be able to see files in their home directory
(i.e. not even read anything else outside) then you probably want to look at
the chroot capability of ftpd - see the chroot(1) manpage for a description of
what it does, and the ftpd manpage for how to configure it for ftp logins.

Kris

-----
    -- Unknown