Date:      Sun, 13 Sep 1998 00:40:06 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        ken@plutotech.com (Kenneth D. Merry)
Cc:        cattelan@thebarn.com, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Weird Toshiba CD causes CAM to crash.

As Kenneth D. Merry wrote...
> Wilko Bulte wrote...
> > As Russell Cattelan wrote...
> > > I has to put his hack back into scsi_da.c
> > >
> > > +     if (!strncmp(*(&(&cgd->inq_data)->product),"CD-ROM XM-5401TA",
> > > +            strlen("CD-ROM XM-5401TA"))){
> > > +       printf("daasync skipping device that looks like CD\n");
> > > +       break;
> > > +     }
> > > +
> > >       if (cgd->pd_type != T_DIRECT)
> > >         break;
> > >
> > > Other wise it would crash someplace in "dadone" at boot time.
> > >
> > > I know this drive is a little weird.
> >
> > Said drive worked fine for me in the non-CAM world. I would not generally
> > qualify Toshiba CDs as weird, they tend to be pretty good. Currently I have
> > a 12x that replaced the 5401:
> >
> > TOSHIBA CD-ROM XM-5701TA 0557
>
> Most Toshiba drives work just fine.  His problem is that his drive probes
> as a direct access device for some reason.

I can explain that part: it was probably inside an SGI or something like
that. Older SGI machines (maybe new ones also?) need CD drives to behave
like a DA (disk) device in order for the CDs to be bootable.

Digital has the same thing in their RRDxx cdrom drives. For the newer
DEC drives (the Toshiba ones) you can switch from DEC RRD4x to Toshiba
mode (512 and 2048 byte blocks respectively) by (un)setting the parity
jumper. Parity is always enabled.

Sun also has/had 512 byte block drives.

I don't know if the DEC and Sun drives probe as DA devices, but I
think they do not. At least I never had troubles getting DEC RRD drives
probed as harddisks. Never tried them with CAM though.

Hope this helps...

Wilko