Date:      Sun, 10 Dec 2006 09:41:52 -0600
From:      Kirk Strauser <kirk@strauser.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Advantages of trimmed kernel?

--nextPart1275689.KVHPcnRoGT

On Sunday 10 December 2006 09:19, Lane wrote:

> You say that you can't afford to take a production machine down, but
> consider this:  What if you trimmed all of the "fat" from the kernel on a
> server, and then the server's nic goes bad.

Well, that's an example of the kind of thing that makes me not want to hack=
=20
GENERIC too much.  Also, accidentally removing some critical driver is=20
another drawback.  So, with all the disadvantages, are there any real=20
advantages to doing this?  Saving half a meg of memory on a four gig machin=
e=20
isn't worth the aggravation.  Squeezing an extra 10% performance out of the=
=20
same hardware would be, though.
=2D-=20
Kirk Strauser