Date:      Thu, 15 Aug 2013 19:02:12 GMT
From:      Keve Nagy <keve@safe-mail.net>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   docs/181331: Typo (missing letter) in example dhcpd config for netboot.

>Number:         181331
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       Typo (missing letter) in example dhcpd config for netboot.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
There is a typo in the example configuration code for dhcpd in the netboot section of the handbook.
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-pxe-nfs.html
Section 31.8.3. Setting up the DHCP Server, step 2, sample config line #6.
  option domain-name-server 192.168.35.35, 192.168.35.36 ;
A letter "s" is missing from the end of the second word, making domain-name-server in singular instead of plural. The correct line should read
  option domain-name-servers 192.168.35.35, 192.168.35.36 ;

I was trying to do some testing today, following the handbook step by step. ISC DHCPD refuses to start with the incorrectly spelt keyword in it. It does not recognize "domain-name-server", it only recognizes the plural form as "domain-name-servers".
As the incorrect form is actually a proper English expression and the line without the pluralizing "s" makes perfect sense (especially when one has a single nameserver to define), it is easy to make the mistake. For the same reason, it could be very difficult for an inexperienced sysadmin or a beginner FreeBSD user to spot the problem.
This should be corrected as soon as anyone with access right to the documentation source can afford the time and energy to commit the correction.
>How-To-Repeat:
Follow chapter 31.8.3 of the handbook to the letter and make the spelling mistake shown in the example configuration code.
>Fix:
Replace the line
  option domain-name-server 192.168.35.35, 192.168.35.36 ;
with
  option domain-name-servers 192.168.35.35, 192.168.35.36 ;
adding a pluralizing "s" to the end of keyword domain-name-serverS.